Neglecting to clean or maintain things like engagement rings, heirloom pieces, etc could result in discolored metals, scratches and even lost diamonds and gems. Avoiding damage and keeping your jewelry shining like new, is easy, simple, at can help your jewelry last longer looking beautiful. Besides taking your jewelry to be properly cleaned by professionals such as us here at APR57 it is also just as important to maintain your pieces at home.
A diamond is the hardest material known to man, making it extremely scratch resistant. However, diamonds will scratch other diamonds, gems, and metals if allowed to rub together! The latest jewelry organizers allow you to sort pieces by color or style, and they keep particularly valuable items safe and clean with compartments of many different shapes and sizes.
In fact, you can find a beautiful home for your beautiful pieces with our assortment of jewelry boxes & cases, and displays.
Keeping dependable jewelry boxes in your closet or atop your dresser is the best way to organize everything from necklaces and earrings to rings and bracelets. It’s best to regularly clean out your jewelry box to check your jewelry for damage.
While each precious gemstone is slightly different, using warm, soapy water is the universal way to clean gemstones. Anything from doing the dishes to putting sunscreen or lotions on your hands can cause dirt and soot to accumulate on your jewelry, making it appear dull.
Using A Diamond Cloth
A diamond sparkles by reflecting light. If a diamond is dirty with even just a finger smudge, light will be unable to pass thru and the diamond will not scintillate.
- Use a lint-free diamond cloth to quickly remove smudges and skin oils.
- Place the diamond inside the cloth and rub it firmly.
- Be sure to never touch the inside of the cloth because this will only add unwanted skin oils to your cleaning cloth.
How To Make A Jewelry Cleaning Solution
To make your own at-home jewelry cleaner, to maintain the shine of diamond and gold jewelry, just follow these simple steps:
- Mix 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid and 1 cup warm water
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ammonia based household cleaner (like a glass cleaner such as Windex)
- Soak your jewelry in the solution for about 5 minutes & then gently scrub with a soft-toothbrush
- Air dry or carefully towel-dry with paper towel or regular cloth.
- Watch it sparkle & fire in the sunshine!
How To Clean Pearls
The care and cleaning of pearl jewelry is much different from other gemstone & diamond jewelry. In fact, when storing pearls, it's important to keep them in a slightly damp cloth so they don’t dry out.
Our jewelry professionals recommend to restring pearl strand necklaces or pearl bracelets every 3 to 5 years because the silk that holds them together will likely get dirty and cannot be cleaned to their original state.
Plus, did you know that wearing your pearls frequently allows for your body’s natural oils to maintain the pearls’ beauty? It's true! A pearls’ luster improves when worn next to the skin as the oils of the wearer them keep them moisturized.
Must Know Tips
1. Protect your pearls by putting them on after applying cosmetics, lotions, perfume and hairspray
2. Do not test the genuineness of a pearl by biting it with your teeth
3. Never store pearls in a hanging position as it can stretch and damage the silk.
Call us at (917) 439 - 9610
regarding any questions you may have regarding the
items you're interested in.