Jean Arnold, 'Kennecott: Big Pit (UT, copper),' Extraction Series, Mixed Media, 2011 -Appraisal Value: $9K
Extraction - Artist Statement
When I was young, my family had a small opal-mining claim in the remote Nevada desert, where I spent numerous childhood vacations. I vividly remember the allure of striking it big…looking for that rainbow flash among the dross, as I picked away chunks of clay from the exposed bank. I now live near the largest mining operation in the world, visible from space. I breathe its fumes and dust, and I have become aware of the dirty impact mining has, even while it provides jobs and much of the material substrate for our technology-based existence.
Mining is a defining activity of civilization. Our eras of extraction — the Stone Age, the Copper Age, the Bronze Age, the Iron Age, and now the Fossil Fuel Age — demarcate humanity’s own “progress”. These materials we extract from the earth – metals, pigments, construction materials, gemstones, and fossil fuels – are consumed by our culture and become the “earth-blood” that runs in our veins, defining us as a species.
Mining’s importance grew with the advent of industrial production. As our population has grown, our hunger for resources has grown. And so extraction has exponentially expanded. Today, vast operations by transnational mining corporations create strange new landscapes. So we have little reference in viewing them, since few of us ever see these places. The extractive economy, in its hunger for raw materials, has entered its late phase — now going after resources in the most difficult and vulnerable places. To depict these operations destroys any sentiment of the “pastoral” that has existed in art.
Life has evolved from simple, one-celled life-forms into complex beings that can literally move mountains and alter the atmosphere. This raises important questions. Where are we going from here? Will humanity’s present trajectory annihilate life and consciousness on this planet, or can we transform towards a beneficial co-existence with other species? What role would mining play in such a future?
I wish to thank Kent Kessinger, SouthWings and EcoFlight for the use of photographic source material.
Appraisal Value: $9,000.00
Our Price: $4,395.00
Specifications of Piece
|Title:||'Kennecott: Big Pit (UT, copper)'|
Mixed Media on Paper (paperwork, framed in clean pale maple, floated on white mat, with plexiglass)
||35" (height) x 52" inches (width)
||Abstraction - Figuration
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.