Contracts Signing Away Ownership of Beatles Songs
Dated October 15, 1968, this document signifies the publishing, copyright, royalties, and distribution agreement between Maclen (Paul McCartney and John Lennon’s musical subsidiary of Apple Corps) and Dick James’ company Northern Songs Limited.
Despite their mercurial rise as The Beatles, Lennon and McCartney knew little about song publishing and enlisted James to handle all original songs published under Maclen Limited including “Why Don’t We Do It In the Road,” “Good Night,” and “Mother Nature’s Son.”
Clauses seven and eight of the contract cemented the fate of this body of work by declaring that the Publishers are "solely and absolutely entitled to the copyright of said work free from encumbrances and authorizes the Publishers [and their successors] to take all steps at their discretion..."
Less than six months later, amid already mounting turmoil among the band, James sold the music during a buy-out. “In March 1969, when I was on my honeymoon and John was doing his bed-in, Dick James sold the songs – while we were out of town. When we got back to town, we said, 'Dick! You can't do that!' He said, 'You want a bet?' And he was quite right. It's just the way these things go. So it was sold, and it became merchandise then… So that was how John and I lost the ownership of so many of our songs. And George, too – he lost some.”
This catalogue of over 250 Lennon-McCartney songs was later purchased by Michael Jackson in 1985.
This contract is comes beautifully framed with a copy of the front side of contract for display purposes.
This fine piece and will ship exactly as photographed in Very Fine Overall condition. It also comes with a FREE $50,000 Certified Insurance Appraisal!
Appraisal Value: $100,000.00
Our Price: $29,000.00
Our Price: $29,000.00
Specifications of Piece
|Signed by:||John Lennon and Neil Aspinall|
|Medium:||Black ink on printed document|
12.75" x 8" inches
|Frame Size:||16.75" x 31" inches|
|Year:||October 15, 1968|
The above item comes with a FREE Certified Insurance Appraisal valued at $100,000.00
Call us at (917) 439 - 9610
regarding any questions you may have regarding the
items you're interested in.
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.