American writer Mark Twain is highly regarded as one of the foremost writers of the 19th century because of his rich humor, sturdy narrative and social criticism. As one who has strong command of colloquial language, he helped to create and popularize distinctive American literature built on American themes. His initial writing style started as light and humorous verses then evolved into a chronicler of the vanities, hypocrisies and murderous acts of mankind. His claim to fame was brought on by the novel The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and its sequel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, his literary career began around 1863.
“In Ye Closet of Ye Virgin Queene, Anno Domini 1601” has original red leather covers with a thin gold border, copper etched pages, watermarks from the company BFK Rives to confirm its high quality paper and beautiful illustrations with gold, red and green ink at the introduction pages. The spine of the book has a unique ridged texture and the page count of this short novel is 27 pages. The dimensions of the book are approximately 6 ¾ “ by 4 8/10”. This book was published in 1903.
This book was written several years before his death, in 1910. It remained anonymous because Twain did not want this erotic novel to taint his reputation from the highly regarded books The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and its sequel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The back cover’s message of “This book was presented to my Uncle R. F. Field by Mark Twain and comes from his library and given at my uncle’s death. Eugene Field II September 18 1927” tells us Mark Twain had gifted his last novel to R.F. Field near the time of his death. The book’s front cover message of “Merry Christmas Ralph- Dec 25, 1937” infers the book was gifted a second time.
Samuel Clemens, the original name of Mark Twain, had a deep fascination with steamboats and took that as inspiration for his name change in 1863. The name "Mark Twain" means 'two fathoms deep' which is a measurement equivalent to six feet. Such an identity change came from his swap in occupation- from a steamboat pilot to a writer. He still wanted to pay homage to his great love for the sea and adventure but wanted to also rebrand himself as a novelist. There was no public announcement of his name change.
This piece can be viewed at our Brand New gallery APR57 at 200 W 57th Street, New York, NY 10019. We ship anywhere around the world!
Appraisal Value: $50,000.00
Our Price: $29,000.00
The above item comes with a FREE Certified Insurance Appraisal valued at $50,000.00
Call us at (917) 439 - 9610
regarding any questions you may have regarding the
items you're interested in.
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.
New York City
Over 100 years of combined experience. We are an appraiser for the Wall Street Journal and many major insurance companies. We have been recommended by Time Out New York as well as a number of radio and TV stations here in New York City. We have over 25,000 watches including both new display and collector's models as well as vintage pieces. We handle all fine artwork, stamps, coins, jewelry, etc. We buy, sell and appraise essentially anything of value.
Our Brand 4,000 square foot Gallery occupies the entire Ground Level at 200 West 57th Street in New York City, directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores. We are open everyday besides Saturday, and welcome anyone to stop by to view or try our massive collection in person.
. We guarantee every listing to be described and photographed accurately.
. Any Item that is not as described can be returned for a full refund, store credit, or replacement. All returns must be returned back to us within 7 days of receipt. You must call prior to returning the item to receive a return shipping number.
200 WEST 57TH ST
NEW YORK, NY 10019