Five antique advertising John Wanamaker & Co. Victorian Trade Cards by F. Appell. Surrounded by a brown matte and wooden frame. Françoise Appel (1821-1882) was an Impressionist & Modern artist from Saxony, whose stylized illustrations were used for advertisements and movie posters in the late 19th century. He moved to Paris after his commercial studies and partnered with Conrad Witter, a German originally from Saxony, in a business of stationery and lithographic prints, working first under the guise of a Parisian patentee since neither of them was French. The naturalization of Witter and his patent obtained in 1848 allowed the two partners to work under the name Appel and Witter; and after obtaining his citizenship, their printing business expanded rapidly to include the sale of lithographic stones, inks and bulk papers, manufacture of business registers, lithographs, chromolithographs, embossed labels, black and color posters, intaglio prints, prints on sheet metal, and labels and advertisements of all kinds. To house such an extensive production, Appel built large workshops and housing for staff at their facilities between the rue du Delta and Rochechouart boulevard. In the 1860s, chromolithography triumphed in advertising, and Appel manufactured labels, calendars, advertisements for department stores and for all kinds of brands of confectionery, food products, cigars, and more. Word of their expertise spread and they began exporting their craft to the American market, resulting in advertisements such as these lithographs, which feature beautifully detailed caricature-like subjects and were used as trade cards for the fashionable John Wanamaker Company tailor shop in Philadelphia, PA.
The item measures approximately 25.25" wide, 9.5" high with frame. Each card measures approximately 3.25" by 4.75" inches.
Appraisal Value: $1,600.00
Our Price: $395.00
Specifications of Item
|Dimensions with Frame:||Αpproximately 25.25" Wide, 9.5" High|
|Dimensions without Frame:||Αpproximately 3.25" Wide, 4.75" High|
|Condition:||Very Fine Overall|
|Signed:||Name, Type, Address, Gold Ink, Bottom Right|
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.
New York City
Over 100 years of combined experience. We are an appraiser for the Wall Street Journal and many major insurance companies. We have been recommended by Time Out New York as well as a number of radio and TV stations here in New York City. We have over 25,000 watches including both new display and collector's models as well as vintage pieces. We handle all fine artwork, stamps, coins, jewelry, etc. We buy, sell and appraise essentially anything of value.
Our Brand 4,000 square foot Gallery occupies the entire Ground Level at 200 West 57th Street in New York City, directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores. We are open everyday besides Saturday, and welcome anyone to stop by to view or try our massive collection in person.
. We guarantee every listing to be described and photographed accurately.
. Any Item that is not as described can be returned for a full refund, store credit, or replacement. All returns must be returned back to us within 7 days of receipt. You must call prior to returning the item to receive a return shipping number.
200 WEST 57TH ST
NEW YORK, NY 10019