This rare and special piece of American History is a handwritten letter from the Secretary of State, James Buchanan is to the American Diplomat and Chargé d’Affaires, John Randolph Clay. James Buchanan served as the United States Secretary of State from March 10, 1845 to March 7, 1849. He later became the 15th President of the United States in 1857. J ohn Randolph Clay served as the United States Chargé d’Affaires to Peru from December 15, 1847 to August 22, 1853. In this very important correspondence, Secretary of State James Buchanan responds to John Randolph Clay's request for additional funds for his expedition of the Amazon river in Peru. Buchanan relays that Randolph Clay shall receive half of what he requested through the Bank of London ($2,250.00). Buchanan requests, on behalf of the President, that Randolph Clay suspend his trip until he has visited with the President in Scotland, but agrees he should reach Lima as soon as possible. The letter reads as follows:
Department of State,
Washington, 25th May, 1847
To John Randolph Clay, Esquire,
Your private letter of the 8/20th April, last, has been received. Upon consideration of the remarks which it contains, it has been determined that one half the amount of your outfit as Chargé d’Affaires to Peru, shall be advanced to you in Europe. The Bankers of the United States at London have accordingly been authorized to honor your draught for the sum of two thousand two hundred and fifty dollars.
The President is willing that you should delay your embarkation for this country a few weeks, for the purpose of visiting Scotland to attend to the important private briefs to which you refer. He desires, however, that you should reach your post at Lima as speedily as possible.
I am, Sir, very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
At this time, John Randolph Clay had just begun the planning of his exploration of the Amazon river. Specifically, John Randolph Clay's expedition successfully negotiated with Peru to have full access to the Amazon's tributaries. Given the importance of this letter, James Buchanan it can be assumed that James Buchanan wrote the letter himself. The letter is in perfect condition. The letter is folded four times and has an address listed on the back. The address is listed as:
Secretary of State
25th May 1847
Concerning J R Clay's
out fit de 7. Peru
This is a primary source historical document and a remarkable piece of American History. The letter comes with a certificate of authenticity and a free insurance appraisal.
For an additional $195.00, this item can be framed to your preferences. Please contact us for further information.
Appraisal Value: $20,000.00
Our Price: $8,900.00
Specifications of Document
|Document Type:||Handwritten Letter on Parchment|
|Recipient:||John Randolph Clay, US Chargé d’Affaires to Peru (December 15, 1847 - August 22, 1853)|
|Signed By:||James Buchanan, US Secretary of State (March 10, 1845 – March 7, 1849)|
|Approximate Dimensions:||8.25" by 13" inches|
May 25, 1847
|Condition :||Folded, but in perfect condition|
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.