This signed typewritten letter from President Franklin D. Roosevelt to a Peggy Richman is a very rare piece of correspondence from the President. The letter is likely in reference to a donation that Peggy Richman made to his organization, The Warm Springs Foundation. Roosevelt founded the Warm Springs Foundation in Warm Springs, GA in 1927. The foundation was created after Roosevelt heard about the therapeutic effects of hydrotherapy on crippled limbs. The Foundation became primarily a facility that offered post treatment for Polio victims. President Roosevelt suffered from a paralytic illness. Throughout his political career, he was very passionate about promoting awareness about the disease.
Peggy Richman's donation to his Foundation must have been very touching to President Roosevelt. This is understood in the thankful and enthusiastic tone of the letter. Also, as the President of the United States, Roosevelt must have received countless letters and donations. It is extraordinary that Roosevelt took the time to write this letter. The letter is exceptionally significant, because it was clearly written by Franklin D. Roosevelt himself and not his secretary. Firstly, the letter's address is very informal with no honorifics (ie Mr., Mrs., Ms.). Secondly, the formatting of the letter is very informal. It does not have matching border sizes, the date at the top of the document ends in a period, Peggy Richman's address is listed at the bottom of the page instead of in the heading, and Roosevelt's name is not typed under his signature. Most importantly, there is no sign off at the bottom denoting the letter was dictated to a secretary. At the time of the letter's creation, President Franklin Roosevelt was still in office. He served in office from March 4, 1933 to April 12, 1945. This letter is dated January 30th, 1934.
The letter reads as follows:
My dear Peggy:
I want to tell you that I am really deeply touched, not only by your thought of be on my birthday, but also for your wanting to help in the work which we are doing for crippled children.
I am sending your letter to the Treasurer of the Warm Springs Foundation, and you will receive a formal acknowledgement of your gift in due time.
With sincere thanks, I am
Very sincerely yours,
(signed) Franklin D. Roosevelt
The document is excellent condition and comes professionally framed and matted. Should you want another frame option, we would be happy to have it framed again. Please contact us for more information.
Appraisal Value: $20,000.00
Our Price: $9,900.00
Specifications of Document
|Document Type:||Signed Typewritten Letter|
|Approximate Dimensions/Size:||With frame: 11" by 13" inches|
|Dated:||January 30th, 1934|
|Signed:||Franklin D. Roosevelt|
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.