Judah Benjamin Letter to Henry R. Jackson, 1861
Ink on paper
Rare, 19th Century, hand-written letter, on Confederate States of America War Department letter-head from the Confederate Secretary of War Judah P. Benjamin (August 6, 1811-May 6, 1884) to Brigadier General Henry Rootes Jackson (July 24, 1820- May 23, 1898). Dated October 12, 1861, this letter from Benjamin is to reassure Jackson that both he and Confederate President Jefferson Davis have every faith in him even after the failure of the Battle of Cheat Mountain and to disregard the sensational press that “almost daily miscarried and misrepresented” the leaders of the Confederacy. Judah P. Benjamin was the first practicing Jew to be elected to Congress when he was sent to the Senate for Louisiana. He would go on to become the Confederate Secretary of State before escaping to Great Britain when the Confederacy lost to the Union in 1865.
Appraisal Value: $20,000.00
Our Price: $9,900.00
The letter reads as follows:
I have received through the adjutant General your report for the action of 3rd unit at Greenbrier River- I congratulate both yourself and the officers and men under your command for your brilliant conduct on the occasion, and your successful defense of the important position held by you against a force so superior- The President joins me in the expression of the satisfaction we both feel in finding our confidence in you and your command so fully justified- In this connection I beg today that the President (Jefferson Davis) submitted to my personal perusal your private letter to him in relation to a newspaper report relating to the affair of the Cheat Mountain- He has answered your letter as he informs me- it gives me pleasure to assure you that there is not a syllable in General Lee’s report that reflects in the remotest manner any discredit on you and I hope you will not feel offended at my expressing surprise that you should should attach my importance or feel any sensitiveness in relation to the sensation articles or reports in the newspapers -- I have the pleasure of seeing my own action and opinions almost daily miscarried and misrepresented on "the most reliable information" with perfect equanimity, and you may well trust your own well earned reputation as a forceful shield against all anonymous attack.
(To) Brig. General Mr. Henry R. Jackson Head Quarter Greenbrier River | acting secretary of war
The above item comes with a FREE Certified Insurance Appraisal valued at $20,000.00
Call us at (917) 439 - 9610
regarding any questions you may have regarding the
items you're interested in.
. Shipping all around the world.
. International Shipping
. Items will be shipped by UPS/Fedex/USPS on the same or next business day of receiving full payment.
. Tracking number will be provided based on the shipping.
. Since we are wholesalers, all items are subject unsold.
.We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
. We always try to ship immediately on the same or next business day upon receiving full payment and information is verified.
Why Buy From Us?
1. In our 30 years of business, we have been featured in and adviser to the Wall Street Journal, Time-Out New York, CNBC, and multiple radio stations in NYC and around the world!
2. We have over 30,000 watches in stock - The largest collection in the world! This includes both Brand New and Limited Edition watches from the last 20 years, as well as Rare, Vintage, Collectible watches that are up to 100 years old!
3. Our Brand New 4,000 square foot Gallery is located on the prestigious 57th St in New York City directly across from the world famous Carnegie Hall, The Russian Tea Room, The Art Students League, and the Brand New $1 Billion Nordstrom Flagship stores.
4. We accept payment by multiple methods including cash, bank wire, check (subject to clearing), credit card, etc.
5. We also offer layaways and accept trade ins and exchanges.
6. Unless otherwise specified, each of our items comes with:
- a FREE lifetime guarantee certificate and a FREE certified insurance appraisal for the typical replacement value.
- Most of our watches are in Brand New, or in Brand New Condition and typically come with their original box.
- Because all of our watches are guaranteed to be working perfectly at the time of sale, we offer a FREE 2-year international guarantee on all mechanical parts and labor.